Date: Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 1:00 PM
Subject: Tour of the Museum, Library & Reproduced Home
Speakers: Library & Museum Staff
Place: National McKinley Birthplace Memorial, 40 N. Main St. Niles, OH 44146
Parking is behind the library on N. Arlington Ave.
Originally begun by Joseph G. Butler, Jr. as a Memorial to his lifelong friend, 25th President of the United States William McKinley, the National McKinley Birthplace Memorial was designed in the Greek Classic style by the noted American architectural firm of McKim, Mead, and White. The building's design was rendered by Gerald Holmes and John Thompson, of McKim, Mead and White's firm. The building is designed to resemble a Roman temple, consisting of two wings on either side of a central court containing a heroic statue of William McKinley. The front entrance features twelve monolithic ionic columns. The building features the largest collection of sculptures by noted American sculptor John Massey-Rhind. Massey-Rhind completed thirty-six of the forty bronze busts located throughout the building and courtyard, as well as the heroic statue of McKinley in the central court. Construction by the John h. Parker Company of New York began on September 9, 1915. The building houses a public library in one wing, and an auditorium with museum in the other wing. Dedicated on October 5, 1917, the National McKinley Birthplace Memorial is the first Presidential museum.
Date: Saturday, April, 29, 2017 at 11:00 AM
Subject: The Restoration of the Schofield Building
Speaker: Jeff Smith of StudioCRM, the architecture firm hired to conduct the restoration.
Place: Cleveland Urban Design Collaborative (CUDC), 1309 Euclid Ave.
The tour will immediately follow the lecture.
Completed in 1901, The Schofield is named for its original architect and owner. It stands at downtown Cleveland's major crossroads of Euclid and Ninth. A 1960's curtain wall covered the building's original fourteen-story Late Victorian façade, destroying many of its details. The adaptive reuse completed in 2016 included removing the curtain wall and completely restoring the original historic exterior. Inside, vacant office spaces were converted into boutique hotel and residential suites positioned to optimize views of Lake Erie and downtown. They are served by a new ground floor lobby and restaurant which have reactivated the street along this block.
Date: Saturday April 1, 2017 at 1:00 p.m.
Subject: Quicken Loan Offices, Higbee Building
Speaker: Dima Daimi, Designer dPOP Detroit, MI.
Place: Meet in the entry to Terminal Tower off Public Square
Date: Saturday, March 11, 2017 at 1:00 PM MEMBERS ONLY
The beloved Higbee building in downtown Cleveland is enjoying some renewed life, like the adjacent Public Square, due to renovations creating new offices for Quicken Loans. A blend of new and original elements creates a thoroughly contemporary design for 450 employees on the fourth and half of the fifth floors in the building. A 40 foot by 60 foot portion of the fifth floor was removed to unify the spaces on the two floors. Four crystal chandeliers and a grouping of display cases, original to the building, will bring back memories of the grand shopping experiences of days gone by. These, along with an in house fitness center, a gaming area, and employee collaboration areas, are shaping the next phase in the long life of the Higbee building.
Subject: American Greetings new world headquarters in Westlake's Crocker Park
Speakers: Elie Weiss, President of Real Estate at American Greetings Corporation
Will Krause, Assistant Planning Director, City of Westlake
Place: Gallery W, American Greetings Creative Studios, One American Boulevard,
Westlake, Ohio 44145. At Crocker Park on the first floor of the American Greetings Building Below the giant rose, off Main Street.
We will assemble at Gallery W, American Greetings first open-to-the-public gallery space dedicated to celebrating exceptional Cleveland-based artists. We will then tour the new 660,000 square foot, five-story world headquarters of this 110-year old, family owned business rooted in Cleveland. The company's purpose "to make the world a more thoughtful and caring place" is physically embodied throughout their new facilities. The building was designed by CallisonRTKL, a Baltimore based architectural firm which is a wholly owned subsidiary of Arcadis NV, an international company. RTKL designed both Fifth Third Center and the postmodern Chase Financial Plaza next to Tower City Center in downtown Cleveland in 1991. Notable features of their design for American Greetings includes a three story interior courtyard open to the sky which provides indoor/outdoor space for their approximately 1,700 associates, and a translucent "fin" on the rear of the building which houses a giant rose sculpture which terminates a vista down Main Street of Crocker Park. American Greetings associates collaborated in the design of the sunlit, spacious, high-ceilinged, building which is meant to maximize collaboration and creativity. The second to fifth floors of the building are normally restricted only to employees.
Date: Saturday, November 5, 2016 at 10:00 AM OPEN TO THE PUBLIC (FIRST 25 WHO RSVP)
Subject: Lewis Field Historic District Tour at NASA Glenn Research Center
Speakers: NASA Glenn staff
Place: Meet and park at main gate house of the NASA Glenn Research Center off of Brookpark Rd.,
21000 Brookpark Road, Cleveland, Ohio 44135
NASA Glenn is celebrating their 75th anniversary in 2016. Participants on the tour will be viewing a new video about the NASA Glenn campus as it developed from the 1940s, a bus tour of the Lewis Field Historic District, a tour of the Zero Gravity Facility (a National Historic Landmark) and a visit to their gift store. They recently started a history walk in the front part of their campus. We will stop there and look at another piece of history, the Centaur G rocket and view the historic markers.
DUE TO SPECIAL SECURITY CONSIDERATIONS YOU MUST ARRIVE 15 MINUTES BEFORE THE TOUR BEGINS. A BUS WILL TAKE YOU INTO THE NASA CENTER. Adults 18 years of age and older must bring their government issued photo identification (state identification/driver's license or U.S. military identification with them to check in with NASA Glenn Security. If you are a legal Permanent Resident of the United States of America, you must also bring your Green Card in addition to your government issues photo identification. At the end of the tour, a bus will be provided to take tour participants back to the main gate parking lot.
Directions: Exiting from I-480 from the West: Exit at Grayton Road and turn right (south) onto Grayton Rd. Turn right (west) Brookpark Rd. Exiting from I-480 from the East: Exit at Brookpark Rd. and turn right (west) onto Brookpark Rd.
Date: Saturday, October 1, 2016 at 1:15 PM OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
Subject: Connecting Schweinfurth, CWRU, and Cleveland in Historical Context
Speaker: Helen Conger, M.A., C.A., Archivist, Case Western Reserve University
John J. Grabowski, Ph.D., Krieger Mueller Associate Professor of Applied History, CWRU
Place: Special Collections Department, Kelvin Smith Library, CWRU, 11055 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 44106
The program will convene in the KSL Special Collections Department where Ms. Conger will discuss the architectural holdings of the University focusing on materials related to Charles Schweinfurth, who designed several buildings on the campus. She will also address the history of architectural education at the University including information about the WRU School of Architecture which closed in 1953 and CWRU Department of Architecture which ceased operation in 1972. Various related items from the special collections and archives of the university will be on display. At 2:15 PM the meeting in the library will adjourn, and the group will reconvene at 2:30 PM in the Harkness Chapel, located on the old Flora Stone Mather Quad, a short walk from the library. One of Schweinfurth's finest creations, the chapel, dedicated in 1902, is a grand, soaring space with several Tiffany windows. At the chapel, Professor Grabowski will address the broader social and historical context of the Schweinfurth structures on the campus, will touch on some of the important stories that connect the structures to the history of Cleveland and the University, and will discuss how the career of Mr. Schweinfurth became so interwoven with the city and its premier academic institution. A short tour of nearby Schweinfurth-designed buildings will follow the talk.
Date: Saturday, September 10, 2016 at 1:30 PM OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
Subject: The new Center for Architecture and Environmental Design, Kent State University
Speakers: Bill Willoughby, Associate Dean of the College of Architecture and Environmental Design
Brett Tippey, Program Coordinator for Architectural Studies
Place: The Center for Architecture and Environmental Design is located at 132 Lincoln St. in Kent
For the past decade, Kent State University and the city of Kent have been collaborating to establish physical, cultural and economic connections between city and university. In this effort, the College of Architecture and Environmental Design (CAED) has played a significant role: since 2006 CAED's Cleveland Urban Design Collaborative has developed a multi-phased master plan to guide this town/gown relationship, and now the latest piece, the new Center for Architecture and Environmental Design, is complete (www.kent.edu/caed/new-home-caed). This building, designed by Weiss/Manfredi (New York) and Richard L. Bowen & Associates (Cleveland), houses all of CAED's undergraduate programs, several graduate programs and the Construction Management program under one roof, for the first time in CAED's history. Conceived as a 'design loft', the building is a catalyst for cross-disciplinary collaboration for students, faculty and staff. It is also designed for USGBC LEED Platinum status; its geothermal heating system, passive daylighting strategies, efficient water consumption/recycling and green roof (among other features) rank it among the most sustainable and innovative buildings in Ohio. On this tour you will see the 'design loft' studios, gallery/exhibition spaces, faculty areas, state-of-the-art fabrication facilities and the new architecture library, with its impressive views of the new downtown Kent.
Date: Saturday, June 11, 2016 at 1:30 PM OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
Subject: An Introduction to the Rare Architectural Collections of the Cleveland Public Library
Speakers: Pam Eyerdam, Manager of the Fine Arts and Special Collections
Kelly Ross Brown, John G. White and Special Collections Librarian
Ann Marie Wieland, Archivist for the Cleveland Public Library
Place: Special Collections Department of the Cleveland Public Library, Main Branch
325 Superior Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44114
The Cleveland Public Library is a significant repository for items of architectural interest from late nineteenth and early twentieth century Cleveland. Some of the materials archived include The Arthur Nelson Oviatt Collection encompassing technical drawings and plans of residential structures by this noted local architect; The Howell and Thomas Collection with 650 sets of drawings from homes, schools, churches, and commercial structures built not only in Cleveland and its environs but also throughout Ohio; and The Charles Schweinfurth Architecture Collection including rare early works, trade catalogs, and view books. Also preserved at the main library are architectural drawings and correspondence relating to the construction of library branches throughout the city. Many of these items will be available for viewing as the speakers discuss the architectural treasures housed in the library.
Directions: The main branch of the Cleveland Public Library is located on north side of Superior Avenue just to the east of Public Square. Both on-street and off-street parking are available nearby.
Date: Saturday May 7, 2016 at 1 PM OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
Subject Maltz Performing Arts Center
Speaker: Jason Cohen, Director of Facilities and Operations
Place: 1855 Ansel Rd. at intersection with E. 105th St. Cleveland
The Milton and Tamar Maltz Performing Arts Center at The Temple - Tifereth Israel at Case Western Reserve University is a project of renovation and a repurpose. This iconic Cleveland building originally designed by Charles Greco of Boston is a gorgeous mix of old and new, restoration and imagination, state-of-the art technology and rich respect for classical architecture. The American Institute of Architects' "Guide to Cleveland Architecture" rightly likens the building's design to the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul.
The tour will include the vestibule, Silver Hall, a control booth and recital hall as well as the exterior which has been cleaned and "repointed" with fresh mortar. Throughout the tour, you will be educated on the elements of design that were included for acoustical purposes, including a 66,000 pound glass and steel canopy. You will also see how the sanctuary has been sensitively renovated and preserved. This is a project that is unique in the nation and another gem in the treasure that is University Circle.
Date: Sunday, April 17, 2016 at 1:00 PM OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
Subject: Allen Memorial Art Museum and Frank Lloyd Wright Weltzheimer/Johnson House
Speaker: Jason Trimmer, Eric & Jane Nord Family Curator of Education
Place: On Oberlin College's Tappan Square, at the Intersection of Ohio Route 58 (N. Main St.)
and Route 511 (E. Lorain St.), Oberlin, Ohio.
The Allen Memorial Art Museum is comprised of two buildings --- a 1917 building designed by Cass Gilbert reminiscent of an Italian Renaissance palazzo, and a 1977 Post-modern addition by Robert Venturi and Denise Scott Brown.
A series of renovation projects initiated in 2009, and costing $13.7 million dollars, has transformed the complex into a state-of-the-art LEED Gold-certified facility. The work involved removing hazardous materials, replacing the HVAC system with a new geothermal system, and enhancing the galleries with insulated ceiling glass and lighting.
The ICA of Cleveland undertook the formidable task of cleaning and restoring Gilbert's King Sculpture Court. Over its century of use, the room had darkened with dirt and grime such that the original artworks could not be seen. There are 100 square painted panels in the ceiling, 31 feet above the floor. With clerestory windows and cleaned surfaces, the sculpture court now dazzles with architectural and artistic beauty and light. WRAH visitors will see why Oberlin College is recognized as one of the top 5 college/university art museums in the country.
A private visit to Frank Lloyd Wright's Weltzheimer/Johnson House follows the art museum tour. During the Depression, Frank Lloyd Wright reasoned that American families of limited means, required homes that were extremely economical in design and building materials. He wanted building sites incorporated into the design plans; as well as, the unique needs of the owners. The term "Usonian" has been given to Wright's theories.
The Johnson house was built in 1950 and is one of only 58 Usonian homes built throughout the United States. Here we'll see some of Wright's cost cutting ideas: no basement, a non-visible roof, a carport instead of a garage, and furniture, lighting and heating systems built into the structure.
Date: Saturday, March 19, 2016 at 1:30 PM MEMBERS ONLY
Subject: The Drury Hotel - An Adaptive Reuse of the Cleveland Board of Education Building
Speaker: Krisandra Lippert, Development Project Manager, Drury Southwest, Inc.
Place: The Drury Hotel (former Cleveland Board of Education Building)
East 6th Street and Rockwell Avenue (visitors assemble at the construction trailer)
Cleveland, Ohio 44114
Designed by Walker and Weeks, this 85-year-old, six story, three wing, sandstone structure formerly served as the administrative headquarters of the Cleveland Board of Education. The interior is distinguished by a magnificent lobby with marble columns, arched windows, and two large murals as well as numerous, elegant, decorative accents throughout. Ms. Lippert will lead a tour of the building and talk about the history and current transformation of the structure into an upscale hotel.
Date: Sunday November 15, 2015 at 1:30 PM
Subject: Cleveland Institute of Art - new unified campus
Speaker: Grafton Nunes, President
Place: 11610 Euclid Ave., Cleveland, OH 44106
Cleveland Institute of Art's George Gund Building (completed in 2015) was designed by the Philadelphia-based Stantec architectural firm to be an ideal space for learning about, making, and exhibiting art in its many forms. The new building is adjoined to CIA's Joseph McCullough Center for the Visual Arts (a building designed by the renowned American industrial architect Albert Kahn as a Model T Ford assembly plant, completed in 1915, and added to the state and national registers of historic places in 1976). The new, four-story, 80,000-square-foot George Gund Building features glass and metal facades meant to echo the form of Kahn's historic building, but not its style. The building's floor plans were designed to maximize flexibility of use, enabling the college to accommodate growth and shrinkage of various majors over time. A four-story atrium, topped by a skylight, occupies the space between the two buildings, with three bridges spanning the 100-year gap. On the first floor, the 3,400-square-foot Reinberger Gallery, with its curved glass entrance, will host public exhibitions of artwork throughout the year and includes a "black box" theater for film shorts and digital art installations. Also on the ground floor, the 300-seat Peter B. Lewis Theater serves as the college's auditorium and as the new home of CIA's year-round, internationally acclaimed Cinematheque film program. Nationally celebrated Boston Light & Sound designed and installed the state-of-the art lighting, 7.1 Dolby surround-sound, and 4K projection systems for the new theater, which has its own, dedicated entrances.
Date: Saturday, October 24, 2015 at 1:30PM
Subject: The Foundry High Performance Training Center
Speaker: Aaron Marcovy, Executive Director
Place: The Foundry, 1831 Columbus Road, Cleveland, Ohio 44113
Opening this fall, "The Foundry" is a $9 million project recasting a dozen old buildings as a year round collegiate and youth boathouse, fitness center with an indoor rowing tank, and banquet center. The rowing complex will include 500 feet of riverfront which will include docks for launching boats and green space available for public use. Funded by MCPc Family Charities as well as Mike and Gina Trebilcock, the project has been described by Brian Zimmerman, Cleveland Metroparks CEO, as "the exact kind of strong public/private partnerships that will continue to bolster redevelopment in the city's urban core." After a presentation regarding the history of the site and tour of the complex, those in attendance who are interested may stroll across the street to nearby Rivergate Park and patronize Merwin's Wharf, a delightful, riverfront restaurant operated by the Metroparks. Also located near The Foundry is Sainato's, a popular local dining spot.
Date: Wednesday, October 7 at 7:00 PM
Subject: Cleveland Cultural Gardens
Speaker: Dr. George Parras, Past President, Cleveland Cultural Gardens Federation
Place: Shaker Heights Public Library, Main Branch, 16500 Van Aken Boulevard, Shaker Heights, OH 44120.
The Cleveland Cultural Gardens, organized in 1916, are an architectural and landscape treasure celebrating the ethnic heritage and diversity of Greater Cleveland. In the last decade, new gardens have been built and many of the existing gardens have been restored and/or expanded. Dr. George Parras, former president of the Cleveland Cultural Gardens Federation, has been an advocate for the Gardens for many years and will present the history of the Gardens with a pictorial tour of this unique resource. This program is being co-sponsored by the WRAH and Shaker Heights Public Library.
Date: Saturday, September 12, at 10:00 AM.
Subject: Tour of The Nine: Breuer Tower, Heinens Rotunda Building, Swetland Building
Speaker: Jim Wamelink, Vice President of WR Restoration
Place: Meet at the East 9th Street entrance to Heinens
The transformation of the former Marcel Breuer-designed Cleveland Trust tower, the Rotunda and the Swetland Building into apartments, a hotel, offices, and a grocery store in downtown Cleveland was completed in 2015 by Geis Companies. The over- $170 million redevelopment project was a monumental achievement not only because of the short turnaround time but also through successful combination of historic restoration, structural modifications, contemporary interior design, and functional work - all during simultaneous construction of the new County Administration Building next door. For 26 months, construction crews ran two and sometimes three shifts at the buildings to ensure that the redevelopment would be completed in less time than it takes many other downtown rehabilitation projects to get moving.
Designed by George Browne Post, architect of the New York Stock Exchange, and built between 1905 and 1908 as the Cleveland Trust headquarters, the Rotunda building is the older part of the banking complex. This included the 1971 addition of the Cleveland Trust tower, designed by Marcel Breuer as his tallest building actually constructed. The Swetland building, on Euclid Avenue, was designed by Searles, Hirsh & Gavin and built in 1910. The 9 was honored in 2015 by the Celebration of Preservation Awards Committee for "Outstanding Preservation Achievement."
Date: Sunday, June 28th, 2:00 PM
Subject: Celebrate the golden anniversary of the WRAH
Speakers: Ken Goldberg, Matthew Moriarty
Place: Shaker Heights Country Club in the 1915, Meade-designed clubhouse.
The Western Reserve Architectural Historians in conjunction with the Shaker Historical Society will celebrate the golden anniversary of the WRAH on Sunday, June 28, 2015 at 2pm. The event will take place at the Shaker Heights Country Club in the 1915, Meade-designed clubhouse.
Mr. Matthew Moriarty, club historian, will commemorate the centennial of the clubhouse with a lecture about the architecture of this exquisite, 16th century English-style structure.
Date: Sunday, May 17 at 2:00 PM
Subject: Visit to the Baseball Heritage Museum & Tour of the League Park Site.
Speakers: Morris Eckstein, Museum Administrator & Paul Volpe, City Architecture Founder
Place: Historic League Park, The corner of East 66th Street & Lexington, Cleveland, OH 44120.
League Park, once the home of the Cleveland Indians and Cleveland Buckeyes is once again being used for baseball games. The restoration into a city park by City Architecture was completed last summer. The site dates back to 1891 when a grandstand with 9,000 wooden seats was built. The park was rebuilt in 1910 more than doubling its seating capacity. The playing field was restored to its 1920 Cleveland World Series championship configuration and was also the site of Babe Ruth's 500th home run in 1929. The park was abandoned in 1946. It was one of 2 major league parks that never had lights installed. The site includes a new visitor center that includes public art. The park was reopened in August 2014. Mr. Volpe will discuss the restoration project.
The Baseball Heritage Museum founded by Bob Zimmer found a new home in the restored original ticket house and contains an extensive collection of baseball memorabilia from all leagues and eras focusing on baseball's multicultural aspects. Zimmer and his father started the collection in 1997 and Zimmer created a 501 c-3 not-for-profit to insure the collections future. The collection includes letters, photographs, stories, uniforms and more.
Date: Sunday April 19, 2015 1:30-3:30 PM
Subject: Tour of the Tudor Arms Hotel, (Now Doubletree by Hilton)
Speaker: Steven Pittman, Front Office Manager
Place: 10660 Carnegie Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106
Complimentary Valet parking in front of hotel on Carnegie
Tudor Arms Hotel - a DoubleTree by Hilton, is listed in the Historic Hotels of America. It was built in 1929 and designed by famed Architect, Frank Meade. It was originally built in the Tudor Revival style for the Cleveland Club as an elite men's oasis and decorated with murals by local artists. It was an entertainment haven from 1930's to the 50's and featured famous Jazz performers. It did survive the Great Depression and World War II as a club and became a hotel. In l960, it was purchased by Western Reserve University and used for graduate housing. After standing empty for some time, in 2011 it was obtained by MRN Ltd. and Hilton Hotels, and the structure restored unmasking its bygone glory. Our speaker Steven Pittman was a part of the planning and conversion team and will be giving us a tour of the Grand Ballrooms, the Lobby and Public Rooms and a sample of the 157 beautifully updated Guest Rooms. Anyone wishing to enjoy one of the dining rooms, before or after the tour, would be welcomed
.Date: Sunday March 15, 2015 at 2:00 PM
Subject: Early Visions of Ohio, 1765-1865
Speaker: Christopher Busta-Peck, Exhibit Curator & Cleveland Historian
Place: Dunham Tavern Museum Barn, 6709 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44103
This program is jointly sponsored by WRAH and The Dunham Tavern Museum. Our speaker, Mr. Christopher Busta-Peck, is the author of Hidden History of Cleveland (The History Press, Charleston, SC, 2011) and host of the "Cleveland Area History" blog (www.clevelandareahistory.com). He is an avid collector of visual documentation related to the Western Reserve and Ohio, inspired in part by questions from youngsters he meets during his day job as a youth services librarian for Cleveland Public Library. He will discuss paintings, prints, ceramics and other media that will be included in "Early Visions of Ohio, 1765-1865" an exhibit he is curating for the Decorative Arts Center of Ohio. The center is located in Lancaster, Ohio and the exhibit will be on view from August 24, 2015 thru January 15, 2016. He and his wife also have an ongoing project restoring their 1926 brick Tudor home in Shaker Heights.
Directions: Please look at the Dunham
Date: Thursday, November 13 at 7:00 PM
Subject: Discussion of the Book, "Cleveland goes Modern" by its Authors
Speakers: An evening with cultural historian Nina Freedlander Gibans & James D. Gibans, FAIA,
along with architect Jack Bialosky Sr.
Place: Shaker Heights Public Library, 16400 Van Aken Boulevard, Shaker Heights, OH 44120.
Authors of the recently published, Cleveland Goes Modern, Design for the Home, 1930-1970, the Gibanses' book is an outgrowth of a 2007 exhibit of the same name. The exhibit featured architectural drawings and photographs of modern homes in Northeast Ohio designed by Cleveland area architects. The book, along with discussion gleaned from oral interviews, features the work of these early and later modern architects that include Ernest Payer, Robert Little, Robert Madison and Richard Fleischman.
Mr. Bialosky, also one of the architects included in the book, helped pave the way for other architects through his projects for modern residential architecture in Shaker Heights. His 2009 AIA award winning firm, Bialosky & Partners is known nationally for its residential, commercial, industrial and recreational projects.
Books will be available for purchase and signing.
Date: Sunday Oct. 12, 2014 at 2:00 PM
Subject: Tinkham Veale University Center
Speaker: Randall Barnes, General Manager
Place: 11038 Bellflower Rd, near the corner with East Blvd.
Parking: Severance underground lot, CIA lot, CMA garage, nearby streets.
The Tinkham Veale University Center situated at 11038 Bellflower Rd is the newest building on the CWRU campus, designed by architects Perkins & Will (known for 'landscraper' designs), the 100% donor-funded University Center is designed to foster interaction and community for CWRU students, faculty, staff and the larger University Circle audience. Built with 2 public levels, the 83,000 square foot facility accommodates student spaces, an amphitheatre, CWRU department offices, a food court (featuring MELT University), a high-end restaurant and a 7,500 square foot ballroom. One of two primary entrances features a media wall, with an interactive digital art display designed by a CWRU graduate. The lower section of the media wall is touch interactive to learn more about the campus, the university, events and the larger University Circle community. The facility is LEED certified silver, and features an air curtain, which captures the sun's heat and releases it before it heats the interior space. The internal temperature is managed through radiant floor heating and cooling as well as chill beam technology. The green roof and automated window shade system also assists in managing the building's heating and cooling expense. Designed to maximize natural light, the building's walls are made of glass, giving the facility a glowing effect at night, and creating spectacular views of the surrounding area during the day. The building is named after Case Institute of Technology graduate, Tinkham Veale II.
Date: Saturday September 20, 2014 at 10:00 AM
Subject: Downtown Kent Redevelopment Tour
Speaker: Douglas Fuller of David Sommers Associates, Kent, OH
Place: Meet at 138 East Main Street in downtown Kent, on the second floor, Helen Dix Conference Room
We will meet and get a general overview and then take a walking tour. Douglas has been involved in the new design guidelines for development and in new and renovation work.
The Historic Downtown Kent Revitalization, taken as a whole, is a collaboration that truly represents a "partnering and leveraging of resources to complete a project with a positive, lasting impact in the community." With $106 million (and growing) in public and private investment, the project has transformed the downtown into a pedestrian friendly, dynamic, economically viable city center.
On the public side, the City of Kent, in addition to creating the vision for a revitalized downtown, was crucial in the process of land acquisition, developer identification, project design concepts and overall project oversight.
Kent State University, under the leadership of President Lester Lefton, was the driver of the idea of creating a more complete college town. They worked alongside the city to promote the Kent State Hotel and Conference Center (owned by the Kent State Foundation), an anchor project for the downtown development. They also extended the University Esplanade, a physical connector, joining the campus to the downtown.
Date: Sunday, June 29, 2014 at 2:00 PM
Subject: WRAH Planning Meeting / Ice Cream Social
Place : Mitchell's Ice Cream (Ohio City)
1867 West 25th Street, Cleveland, Ohio 44113
Constructed in 1919, The Rialto Theater was a popular cinema and vaudeville venue on the near West Side. Mitchell's Ice Cream recently repurposed this structure into a retail store and production facility with a gallery for observation of the ice cream making process. All WRAH members and their guests are invited to an ice cream social to celebrate the beginning of summer - members free & guests $5.00. A planning session for the fall schedule will take place immediately after the social - all are encouraged to attend and bring their program ideas and calendars.
Date: Sunday May 18, 2014 at 2:00 pm
Subject: Saint Luke's Tour
Speaker: Wayne Mortensen, Director of Development and Design
Place: Shaker Blvd. & East 116th St. Cleveland, Ohio
The Saint Luke's Hospital complex was designed by Hubbell & Benes and built in 1927 as a private hospital. Once known for its research facilities and nursing school, it was a neighborhood beacon with its prominent bell tower. It is on the National Register of Historic Places. After standing empty since the summer of 1999, efforts to redevelop the site began in 2005, and a recent grant focused on repurposing the building for affordable senior housing. Now recently completed, Saint Luke's Manor, features 139 apartments for seniors. Pennrose Group and Cleveland Neighborhood Progress have nearly finished the last phase of adaptive reuse of the east wing that has LEED certification. It includes a K-8 Intergenerational Charter School, a Boys and Girls Club, and an Early Childhood education facility; as well as restoration of common spaces, exterior courtyards, new office spaces, and adaptive reuse of the Auditorium.
Date: Sunday, April 27, 2014 at 1:30 PM
Subject: The 103rd Ohio Volunteer Infantry Civil War Museum
Speaker: Deb Wagner, Curator
Place: 5501 E. Lake Road, Sheffield Lake, Ohio 44054
In 1907, the 103rd O.V.I. Association purchased four acres of lakefront property in Lorain County for their annual reunions. A number of structures were built including a kitchen, mess hall, and dance hall/community room as well as a number of cottages. Originally constructed for seasonal use, many of the buildings have been winterized and now are continuously occupied by descendents of the founding members. The structure housing the museum was originally built by the 103rd O.V.I Civil War veterans to serve as a barracks during their reunions. About 40 years ago the building was restored and became the permanent home for the museum. Ms. Wagner will conduct a tour of the museum as well as of the grounds.
MEMBERS ONLY EVENT
Date: Saturday, April 12, 2014 at 1:30 PM
Subject: Nela Park
Speaker(s): Mary Beth Gotti, Manager, GE Lighting and Electrical Institute
David Korow, Senior Lighting Specialist, GE Lighting and Electrical Institute
Place: GE Lighting/ Nela Park, 1975 Noble Road, East Cleveland, Ohio 44112
Nela Park, which many consider to be the first planned industrial park in the nation, was constructed in the early twentieth century to create a working atmosphere paralleling that of an academic or fine arts institution. Located on a plateau 234 above Lake Erie and situated on 90 acres, the building program began in 1911, and almost all of the major buildings were erected during the next decade. The prevailing architectural style is Georgian Revival, and four large buildings are arranged around the Quadrangle, the most prominent architectural feature of the park. The architects of the buildings built from 1911 to 1921 were Wallis & Goodwillie of New York. The buildings were erected by the Austin Company of Cleveland with advanced construction techniques including underground tunnels for all utilities. The innovative concept of Nela Park was featured in the June, 1914 edition of The Architectural Record. The tour of the complex will focus on both exterior and interior elements and will include a look at seven original Norman Rockwell paintings commissioned by General Electric.
Date: Sunday, March 16, 2014 at 1:00 PM
Subject: Church of the Covenant
Speakers: Douglas R. Hoffman, AIA, Principal, Weber Murphy Fox Architects
Reverend Dr. Robert J. Campbell, Senior Pastor, Church of the Covenant
Place: 11205 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44106
Designed by Ralph Adams Cram of Cram, Goodhue & Ferguson and erected 1909 to 1911, the exterior of this magnificent Gothic structure is constructed of Indiana limestone with a great arch enclosing a rose window facing Euclid Avenue, a single, deeply-recessed front doorway, and a 140 foot tower with a parish house at the north end. The interior, finished with stone, tile, wrought iron, mahogany, and white oak, features a sixty-six foot tall nave covered by a timber roof. Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980, an interior restoration was recently completed. Mr. Hoffman, a religious design specialist and the consulting architect, will discuss this project. Reverend Campbell and his staff will lead a tour through the church.
Date: Sun. Nov. 17, 2013 at 1:00 PM
Subject: Tour of the College Club of Cleveland
Speaker: Jill Jefferis, Co-author of the House Tour Guide
Place: 2348 Overlook Road, Cleveland Heights, OH 44106
First Part: We will explore the architectural history of the house, its past residents and uses. It was designed in 1903 for William & Lida Alexander by Franklin Meade and Abram Garfield in the new Euclid Heights exclusive development for Cleveland's wealthy. Alexander was a successful industrialist. To accommodate their three children and servants, the residence provided 22 rooms and a large carriage house at the rear. The Arts and Crafts Style is a prevailing theme. As you enter, the Grand Staircase is in the Art Nouveau foyer. The home welcomes visitors with cherry paneling, a parlor with designs by the famed artist, designer August Biehle, leaded glass windows in three styles and metallic glazed tiles. We will visit all three floors of this unique home that entertained the cream of Cleveland society.
Second Part: Subject: Walking Tour of "The Overlook"
Speaker: Ken Goldberg, board member and former WRAH president
The tour will explore the three blocks of Overlook Road planned in the 1890's as the premier residential boulevard of the new Euclid Heights. The National Historic District, Herrick Mews, will be included. The physical remnants from the past , and appropriate illustrations of former buildings will be available to help imagine what is long gone. Ken Goldberg, is on the Cleveland Heights Landmark Commission and Trustee of the Cleveland Heights Historical Society.
Date: Sunday, October 27, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Subject: Architectural Tour of Dover Township - Founding Homesteads to a Lustron Home.
Speakers: Will Krause, Steve Kish, Ginny Peterson, Lysa Stanton & others
Place: We will meet in the Porter Room at Westlake Porter Public Library, 27333 Center Ridge Road,
Westlake, Ohio 44145.
Dover Township, first settled by non-Native Americans in 1810, eventually became the cities of Bay Village and Westlake.
Join us at Porter Library for a brief presentation on the early 20th century Sears homes recently identified in these two communities as well as a look at an all steel mid-20th century Lustron home in Westlake. The tour will begin with a stop at the c. 1828 Stocking home which was moved several hundred feet in 1920 to make room for an outstanding Sears kit house. We will then visit the c. 1876 National Register listed Victorian Italianate Clague House Museum, the c. 1898 National Register listed Richardsonian Romanesque Lawrence mansion now part of the Cashelmara condominium complex, and the BAYArts campus in Huntington Park which features the former Huntington Estate's classic Arts & Crafts bungalow grounds-keepers cottage, c. 1894 Irene Fuller Victorian home, and original 1882 Dover train station. All of these buildings have been re-purposed, three have been seen worldwide either due to their connection to the famous 1954 Sam Shepherd murder case, or because their preservation included a trip on a barge. The program will conclude at 5:00 PM with an optional dinner at Vento La Trattoria located within the charming Dover train station mentioned above, which is within the Metroparks Huntington Reservation at 28611 Lake Road, Bay Village, Ohio.
Date: Sept. 21, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Subject: Tour of Transformer Station (Contemporary Art Gallery)
Speaker: Executive Assistant to the Director, Fred Bidwell
Place: 1460 West 29th Street, Cleveland's Ohio City, 44113
Built by the Cleveland Railway Co. in 1924, this simple brick cube building with sandstone base and detailing was an example of the city's growing industrial and technical progress. It provided electrical power for the city's streetcar system.
The Akron collectors of contemporary photography, Fred and Laura Bidwell, planned to repurpose the building and add an annex to showcase their growing collection. The Cleveland Museum of Art wanted to expand their photography holdings, and saw a partnership with the Bidwell Foundation project as a unique way to realize their mission to bring original contemporary arts exhibits to the west side of Cleveland and serve as an adjunct facility to the Cleveland Museum of Art.
We will have a private tour, before the galleries open to the public, and see both the original building and the new annex.
After the tour, you will have an opportunity to join the Sparx City Hop. The Transformer Station has been chosen this year as one of the stops on the Ohio City Green Line segment. Free rides on Lolly the Trolley will take you on a trip around the unusual historic and architectural sites in the area. Wristbands and information will be available at the Transformer Station stop.
Date: Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 1:30 PM.
Subject: Historic Kirtland- The Mormons in the early 19th Century Western Reserve
Speaker: Meet at the Historic Kirtland Visitor Center
Place: 7800 Kirtland-Chardon Road, Kirtland, OH 44094 www.historickirtland.org
The Kirtland Visitor Center oversees the historic Kirtland Village. Extant buildings reflect the period of 1831-1837 --- the years in which the prophet Joseph Smith established the headquarters of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, also known as the Mormon Church, in Kirtland. WRAH's visit will include a guided tour of five properties: the Johnson Inn, the Newel K. Whitney Store, the Newel K. and Elizabeth Ann Whitney Home, the ashery, and the sawmill. All are within a short walking distance from the Visitor Center.
Date: Sunday, April 28, 2013 at 1:00 PM & 2:30 PM
Subject: Uptown Condo Tour followed by a tour of the New Museum of Contemporary Art
Speaker: Condo representative & MOCA Guide
Place: Euclid Avenue & 115th St., Euclid Avenue & Mayfield Rd, Cleveland, Ohio 44106
1:00 PM Uptown Condo Tour - Euclid Ave. & 115th St. Meet in the Arcade between Constantino's and Starbucks. Our guide will show us an available condo in the complex developed by MRNLtd and designed by Natoma Architects of San Francisco. There is paid parking behind the complex off 115th St.; first half hour free, then $1 per hour- pay at Lot Pay Station.
2:30 PM MOCA Tour -- Euclid Ave. & Mayfield Rd. The new permanent home of the Museum of Contemporary Art was designed by Farshid Moussavi Architect (FMA). This is her first United States commission and her first museum. The building is 34,000 square feet in 4 stories and 44% larger than the previous rented MOCA space. Founded in 1968, MOCA is a non-collecting institution and as such has very different space needs. Meet in the lobby where our tour will feature the planning, engineering, construction, and unique materials used in the museum. Plan to spend time in their Design Shop. Museum Admission $ 8.00 adults, $ 6.00 seniors.
Date: Sunday, March 17, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Subject: "The 1934 Westinghouse House of Tomorrow"
Speaker: Scott Schaut, Curator, Mansfield Memorial Museum
Place: 6709 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH, Dunham Tavern Museum Barn
"Westinghouse House of Tomorrow" In 1931 Westinghouse proposed to build from scratch the first all electric-home. It would be used as a training facility to help promote the use of electrical appliances. During the height of the depression this was an innovative idea that would keep many employees working and promote sales of appliances for the Mansfield Appliance Division. The lecture will focus on the construction of the house and the co-operative efforts of the Westinghouse Mansfield Plant and the Good Housekeeping Institute to create a home, "that would make the housewife's job easier and convenient". Many original photos and artifacts will be on display. The talk will also present the innovations that were developed for the construction that could be incorporated in today's homes. Many of the appliances were prototypes that led to actual Westinghouse appliances. From conception to completed construction took a little more than a year. On February 21, 1934 the dedication took place with great fanfare and tens of thousands of people came to inspect this new concept. Lowell Thomas was there and gave his weekly radio broadcast from the house. Shortly after the Westinghouse house was built General Electric, not to be outdone, attempted an all-electric home. Unfortunately, it did not have the innovations that the Westinghouse house had and faded into history. The "House of Tomorrow" still stands in Mansfield and is now a private home. Part of the purpose of this lecture will also focus on the collaborative efforts of different companies to invent and build new technology that helped change the attitudes of the population towards electricity and the ease of using electrical appliances to save time and money. The construction of this endeavor in a short period of time could give lessons to today's businesses of what might be accomplished in today's hard times.
Sunday, March 10
, from 1:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. there will be a special showing of the film Incessant Visions
at Park Synagogue, 3300 Mayfield Rd, Cleveland Heights, OH. It is a documentary illuminating the life of Erick Mendelsohn, architect of the synagogue through letters exchanged with his wife. After its showing, the filmmaker, Duki Dror's will be there to discuss the film followed by a tour of Park Synagogue. The synagogue was completed in 1950 and is an example of modern synagogue architecture of that period.
Date: Sunday, November 11, 2012 at 1:00 PM
Subject: Saint Casimir Roman Catholic Church
Speaker: Reverend Eric Orzech, Pastor
Place: Saint Casimir Church, 8223 Sowinski Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio
Less well-known than Saint Stanislaus, the mother church of Polish-Americans in Cleveland, Saint Casimir is, likewise, a grand testimony to the religious devotion of Polish immigrants. Designed by architect William Jansen and constructed in 1918, this Romanesque, stone-trimmed, brick structure measures 155 by 64 feet and can seat about 1200 worshipers. The interior is noteworthy for exquisite stained glass windows as well as an intricate altar featuring a carving of the Last Supper. The church was closed by the Diocese of Cleveland in 2009 and, after appeal by the parishioners to the Vatican, reopened earlier this year. Rev. Orzech, a son of the Polish community of Cleveland, will lead a tour of the church focusing on the history of the parish and the architecture of this ecclesiastical treasure. Immediately after the meeting at Saint Casimir, attendees, if interested, may reassemble at the Rockefeller Park Greenhouse, a short distance away at 750 E. 88th St., for an informal visit.
Date: Saturday, October 20, 2012 at 1:30 PM
Subject: The Campus of Saint Ignatius High School
Speakers: Fr. Lawrence Ober, S.J., Faculty, Department of History, Saint Ignatius, H.S.
Michael Howard, M.A., Faculty, Department of History, Saint Ignatius, H.S.
Joseph Ptak, M.A., M.Ed.. Dean of Teachers, Saint Ignatius H.S.
Place: Saint Ignatius High School, 1911 West 30th Street, Cleveland, Ohio
Founded in 1886, Saint Ignatius is a Jesuit, college preparatory school for young men located in the Ohio City neighborhood of Cleveland. The campus includes Loyola Hall, originally constructed as a parochial elementary school, built in 1865; Saint Mary of the Assumption Chapel; Main Building, a designated Cleveland landmark, completed in 1891; the state-of-the art, Breen Center for the Performing Arts, opened in 2009; and various other structures. Saint Ignatius was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. Fr. Ober, who teaches a course in art history, Mr. Howard, and Mr. Ptak, will guide the tour of the buildings and grounds focusing on the history and architecture of this venerable institution. The meeting will convene in the lobby of the Breen Center.
Date: Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 1:00 pm
Subject: Allen Theater Complex at Playhouse Square
Speaker: Kevin Moore, Administrative Director of Cleveland Playhouse
Place: Allen Theater at Playhouse Square
The Allen Theater, at 15th and Euclid in Playhouse Square, originally opened in 1921 as a movie house. In !997 a stage house was constructed and the venue was converted to a performing arts stage. The latest transformation, which opened last year, created the Allen Theater Complex which includes a new 512 seat theater inside the Allen and two new theaters, the Second Stage and the Helen, constructed in a parking lot adjacent to the building. This complex is the new home of the Cleveland Playhouse (CPH) and the Cleveland State University theater program. Kevin Moore, Administrative Director of CPH, will be hosting our tour of this $12million project.
Our program will conclude with the SAH WRAH AWARD posthumously honoring Walter Leedy Jr. for his book, Eric Mendelson's Park Synagogue. It was edited by Sarah Jane Pearman.
Date: Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 10:00 AM.
Subject: Tour of the Allen Memorial Medical Library and Dittrick Medical History Center and Museum
Speaker: James M. Edmonson, Curator
Place: The Allen Memorial Medical Library, 11000 Euclid Avenue on the campus of Case Western Reserve University
The Allen Memorial Medical Library on the campus of Case Western Reserve University is home to the Cleveland Medical Library Association (est. 1893), which has been affiliated with CWRU since 1966. The building was designed by the architectural firm of Frank R. Walker and Harry E. Weeks, a firm noted in the Midwest for their classical revival style. Other buildings designed by them include the Federal Reserve Bank, The Cleveland Public Library, and Severance Hall. The building is considered an architectural prize, resembling the Petit Trianon at Versailles on a larger scale. It is neo-classic in style. From its pink marble exterior steps and bronze doors, to its marble lobby and interior stairs, and reading rooms done in an English university tradition, it is a visual pleasure. The architectural significance of the Allen is noted in its designation as both a Cleveland Landmark and as part of the National Register of Historic Places.
The Dittrick Medical History Center and Museum has since 1998 been part of the College of Arts and Sciences of CWRU. Recent major collection acquisitions include the Percy Skuy collection of historic of contraceptives, and the M. Donald Blaufox, M.D. collection of diagnostic instruments for conducting a physical examination.
James Edmonson is an Adjunct Associate Professor at Case Western Reserve University and Curator of the Dittrick Medical History Center and Museum. He is the author of American Surgical Instruments: An Illustrated History of Their Manufacture and a Directory of Makers to 1900 (1997), medicine A Companion to American Technology (2005), Dissection: Photographs of a Rite of Passage in American Medicine, 1880-1930 (2009), co-authored with John Harley Warner (Yale). He is currently the American liaison and secretary general of the European Association of Museums of the History of Medical Sciences
Saturday, April 21, 2012 at 1:30 p.m.
Subject: B&O Roundhouse/Midwest Railway Preservation Society (MRPS)
Speaker: Don Zeyer, President and other members
Place: B&O Roundhouse/MRPS, 2800 West 3rd Street, Cleveland, Ohio
The mission of Midwest Railway Preservation Society is to "collect, preserve, restore, display, and operate railway equipment for the education and enjoyment of the public." With this goal in mind the MRPS, headquartered at the historic B&O roundhouse, has acquired over twenty pieces of vintage rolling stock including the 1918 Grand Trunk steam locomotive featured in the movie "The Natural," passenger cars, Pullman sleepers, and a caboose. The visit to the MRPS will include guided tours of the roundhouse and interior of various railroad stock including cars, a sleeper and a caboose as well as free time for members to explore the building, equipment, and grounds.
Date: Sunday, March 18, 2012 at 2:00 pm
Subject: "What Ohioans saw at the Philadelphia Centennial Exhibition of 1876"
Speaker: Dr. Gainor Davis, President and CEO, Western Reserve Historical Society
Place: 6709 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH, Dunham Tavern Museum Barn.
The Centennial International Exhibition of 1876, the first official World's Fair in the United States, was held in Philadelphia, PA, from May 10 to November 10, 1876 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence. It was officially the International Exhibition of Arts, Manufactures & Products of the Soil & Mine. It was held in Fairmount Park along the Schuykill River. About 10 million people attended, equivalent to 20% of the population of the United States at the time. More than 200 buildings were constructed within the grounds, which were surrounded by a fence nearly three miles long. The Main Exhibition Building enclosed an area of 21 ½ acres and was the largest building in the world. Hear all about it when Dr. Davis gives a tour of the site.
Date: Saturday, November 12, 2011 at 2:00 p.m.
Dr. Davis has been the president and CEO of the Western Reserve Historical Society for 5 years. She came to Cleveland from the York County Heritage Trust in York, PA. She served 7 years as the director of the Vermont Historical Society. She is a strong believer in strategic and organizational planning. Her undergraduate degree was from Smith College in history. Her M.A. was from the University of DE (Newark) in American history and museum studies and her Ph.D. was from Temple University in American history. She is active in many civic and cultural organizations in the Cleveland area and lives with her husband and Pembroke Welsh Corgi in Cleveland Heights.
Subject: Tour of Glenwillow Village Center, 29555 Pettibone Road, Glenwillow, OH
Speakers: Mark A. Cegelka, Mayor and Peggy Spraggins, Grant Consultant
Place: Meet at the Village Center Park Gazebo
The Village of Glenwillow is one of the last "company towns" in Northeast Ohio. It was founded in the late 1890's when the Austin Powder Company moved their operations from Cleveland to what was then Solon Township. Soon after, the Village was incorporated - enabling Austin to get around the regulations of the Township. All the members of the Village Council and the Mayor were company employees, so their decisions benefited the company. The Austin Powder Company built homes, a school, an orphanage, a general store, post office and later a gas station to house their employees and take care of their family needs. In 2005 the Village began a restoration/renovation project to restore the homes - in order to sell them to individuals dedicated to maintaining historical amenities such as the design, roof line, and style of trim. Some of the homes were converted to commercial use while retaining original features. The original General Store is now home to the Glenwillow Grille, an upscale contemporary restaurant. The wood used in the bar area is original to the site and the windows have been restored.
Date: Saturday, October 22, 2011 at 10 am to 12 noon
Subject: Squire Valleevue Farm and the Valley Ridge Farm
Speaker: Dr. Ana Locci, Director of the CWRU University Farm
Place: 37125 Fairmount Blvd, Hunting Valley, just east of SOM Center Rd, (Ohio Route 91)
Dr. Ana Locci will describe the history and significance of these two working farms comprising almost 400 acres donated to the university in 1938. Andrew Squire hired Walker and Weeks to design the Cotswold style manor house in the late 1920's and landscape architect, Ethelwyn Harrison to plan the medicinal gardens and arboretum. The lower farm, Valley Ridge Farm, formerly the summer home of Jeptha Wade II, incorporates the repurposing of a complex of buildings and features a magnificent U shaped horse barn. Wade hired architects Hubbel and Benes and landscape designer Warren Manning to help realize his dream of the perfect country retreat. CWRU acquired the farm in 1977. Come enjoy the fall foliage in this pastoral setting and bring a picnic lunch to enjoy after the tour with the group. Should you be so inclined, easy walking trails are available to complete your day in the country.
Date: Sunday, September 18, 2011 at 1:30 pm
Subject: Tour of the new Bertram & Judith Kohl Building, Oberlin College
Speaker: Michael Lynn, Associate Dean of Technology & Facilities, Professor of Recorder &
Baroque Flute, Curator of Musical Instruments
Place: 77 West College St., the Conservatory of Music, three attached buildings including the
Kohl. The entrance to the Kohl is off-street, east of the main entrance.
"A building should broadcast its purpose to the world" is the philosophy behind the new Bertram & Judith Kohl Building, the new home for jazz studies, music history, and music theory at Oberlin College Conservatory of Music. The building dedicated on May 1, 2011 features a state-of-the-art recording studio and the largest privately held jazz recording collection in the United States. The James Neumann Collection consists of more than 100,000 recordings and an array of posters, ephemera and iconography. The building was designed with the highest environmental building standards in mind and intends to be the first music facility in the world to attain a Gold Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design rating following standards set by the U.S. Green Building Council. We will also visit the rare instrument storage/workroom that is not usually open to the public.
: Sunday, June 26, 2011 at 2:00 p.m.
Subject: Tour of Brownwood Farm & Zachariah Norton House
Speakers: Judi & Terry Sheridan, Al & Deborah Imhoff
Places: North Bloomfield & North Bristol, OH
A potluck picnic in the country is planned for a special visit to two early Trumbull County homes. We will meet at Brownwood (1819, 1823, 1840) at 2:00 p.m. and carpool the short distance to the Norton House (1811, 1824) in North Bristol. The Imhoffs have been researching and restoring this home for the past 11 years. After the tour, we will return to Brownwood for a picnic and open house to view the Sheridan's many collections. The main course, beverages, and tableware will be provided and the guests need only bring a salad, vegetable, or dessert and a lawn chair.
: Sunday May 15, 2011 at 2:00 p.m.
Subject: Tour of the Strongsville Historical Society Village
Speaker(s): Historical Society Docents
Place: 13305 Pearl Road, Strongsville, OH 44136
The Strongsville Historical Village is a collection of homes and buildings that reflect significant events and activities during the development of the community of Strongsville. The Historical Village is owned and operated by the Strongsville Historical Society. The visit will include the Baldwin House built in 1823 by the second town doctor and was one of the first frame buildings in the center of Strongsville. The 1832 Bradley House was moved to the site from Albion, a nearby community. The Lathrop House, circa 1870, was also moved from Albion and is an Italianate structure. The 1904 Roe-Chapman House is a Dutch Colonial Revival. It was the home of the Roe family from 1907 to 1957. It was sold to the Chapmans who were founders of the historical society and donated the house and property to the society to create the village. Other buildings include a barn, general store, academy and bicentennial log cabin.
Please RSVP with your reservation to Barbara Flinn at (216) 371 5917 by Saturday, May 7, 2011. Lunch information will be available when you call in your reservation.
: Saturday, April 16, 2011 at 2:00 p.m.
Subject: Walking tour of the Gordon Square District
Speaker: Variety of Speakers
Place: Intersection of Detroit Ave. and West 65th Street Cleveland, OH
The Gordon Square Arts District in the Detroit/Shoreway neighborhood is in the midst of major renovation projects encompassing housing, businesses, arts venues, and streetscaping to create a vibrant environment. We will meet on the northwest corner at the intersection of Detroit Ave. and West 65th Street to take a look at historic buildings on three of the four corners. Next we'll visit the Gordon Square Arcade and newly renovated Capitol Theater on that same corner. The Capitol Theater, built in 1921, reopened in 2009 as a three screen movie complex showing a combination of Hollywood and art films.
On a short walk down the street to see some of the historic residential architecture, we will enjoy the wider sidewalks, new trees, and public art that were part of the Detroit Ave. streetscaping renovation. To finish our visit we will take a short drive to the Fir Street cemetery, Cleveland's second oldest Jewish cemetery, which was renovated in 2009 by a neighborhood block group.
Date: Sunday, March 20, 2011 at 2:00 p.m.
Subject: "Beyond Cuyahoga County: Architectural marvels from Cadiz to Casablanca."
Speaker: Marc Vincent
Place: Dunham Tavern Museum
"Beyond Cuyahoga County: Architectural marvels from Cadiz to Casablanca." In this program, jointly sponsored by WRAH and The Dunham Tavern, we will travel beyond the confines of Northeast Ohio to explore the architectural wonders of the Mediterranean. Marc Vincent, Professor of Art History at Baldwin-Wallace College and WRAH trustee, taught on the Semester-at-Sea Summer 2009 voyage and visited Spain, Italy, Greece, Croatia, Bulgaria, Turkey, Egypt and Morocco. He will be discussing the various sites visited as well as life at sea among 800 students! Refreshments will follow.